Although many of us know the importance of fiber, many people still don’t consume enough fiber in their diets. Fiber helps us lower bad cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar and lose weight. Furthermore, many people aren’t aware that there are actually two primary types of fiber, each bringing their own unique health benefits.
Soluble fiber is the first main type of fiber and can be found in foods such as oatmeal, nuts, beans and various fruit. This form of fiber provides a myriad of health benefits such as:
- A Healthy Heart: Soluble fiber binds to cholesterol particles and flushes them out of the body, aiding in lowering overall cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease.
- Diabetes Mitigation: Due to its poor absorption within the body, soluble fiber doesn’t contribute to blood sugar spikes and can lower the risk of contracting diabetes and help with active diabetes management.
- Weight Loss: Maintaining a healthy weight or losing weight is greatly enhanced by fiber. Fiber keeps you feeling full and more satisfied for longer with minimal extra calories.
- Healthy Bowel Movements: Soluble fiber promotes a healthier digestive tract as it soaks up water in the body, which then bulks up the stool to lessen constipation and diarrhea.
The second main type of fiber is known as insoluble fiber, which tends to be found in the seeds and skin of fruit and whole-grain breads and rice. Some health benefits of insoluble fiber include:
- Weight Loss: Insoluble fiber also keeps the body satisfied and full for longer, meaning that fiber can reduce meal portions and help you avoid excessive calories.
- Digestive Health: A diet high in insoluble fiber is very good for the digestive system, meaning that bowel-related conditions like constipation can be remedied by consuming more fiber.
Fiber should undeniably be a key component of everyone’s diet as it brings significant health benefits. It is easy to forget about consuming enough fiber when you’re on the go, so make sure to grab a Stabilyze bar on your way out the door in the morning. Each Stabilyze bar is a great source of pre-biotic fiber, boasting 8 grams of dietary fiber per bar alongside healthy fats and proteins. So grab yours today and snack smart!