Berry Parfait, photo by Hilary McMullen
Menu Day 5
- Breakfast: Coconut Banana Berry Smoothie or ¾ cup overnight oats
- Lunch: large tossed salad with balsamic vinaigrette, top your greens (any type) with a good variety of veggies, either raw or leftover cooked, and add ½ cup beans for protein; 2 small fresh tangerines
- Dinner: Leftover Fish Taco Salad with Strawberry Avocado Salsa or leftover Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- AM: 1 Baked Apple
- PM: Berry Parfait or a piece of fresh fruit or edamame, ½ cup
Coconut Banana Berry Smoothie – serves 1
Vegan and dairy-free smoothie with antioxidant berries and spinach that aids in detoxification.
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ banana, in chunks
- ½ cup frozen strawberries, raspberries or blackberries
- 2 cups baby spinach
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until creamy.
Baked Apples – serves 2
An easy gluten-free dessert that not only taste great, but is good for you too.
- 2 firm cooking apples (e.g., Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Macintosh)
- 4 Tbsp raisins
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup Apple juice, optional
With a knife, cut apples horizontally through peel around the middle to keep the skin from splitting during baking. Core apples and fill the center of each with 2 Tbsp raisins. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle a small bit of apple juice in top. Bake at 350° for 40- 45 minutes, or until tender.
Berry Parfait – serves 2
The cashew cream may be made ahead of time and stored for 2-3 days in the refrigerator! Berries or even mangoes topped with the coconut cashew cream makes an antioxidant-rich delicious breakfast.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk (canned)
- Pinch of stevia to taste or 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups berries (any combination is great)
Place the cashews, coconut milk, honey and cinnamon in a food processor. Blend until smooth, with the consistency of peanut butter. If too thick, drizzle in some water and blend to the desired consistency.
Scoop 2 large spoonful’s cashew cream into the bottom of a glass dish. Add ½ cup berries and top with another layer of cashew cream. Finish with another ½ cup berries.
MORE: Day 6 Healthy You