Basil Avocado Soup, photo by Hilary McMullen
Menu Day 2
- Breakfast: Moody Blues Smoothie or Beet Smoothie
- Lunch: Basil Avocado soup and 3-4 oz. canned skipjack tuna mixed with hummus
- Dinner: leftover Wilted Kale Salad with canned mackerel or salmon
- AM: almonds or walnuts, 1 handful
- PM: hummus, ¼ cup and unlimited raw veggies
Moody Blues Smoothie – serves 1
The spinach and berries are an easy and quick way to start the day with several servings of a rainbow of phytonutrients.
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk or other unsweetened alternative milk
- ½ ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
Blend all ingredients in a high power blender until well combined.
Beet Smoothie – serves 1
Naturally sweet, beets are high in nutrients and vitamins including fiber, and help lower blood pressure.
- 1 ripe pear, unpeeled and cored
- 1 beet, skin on, well-scrubbed and chopped
- 1 cup beet greens
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup ice cubes, optional
Blend all ingredients in a high-power blender until well combined.
Basil Avocado Soup – 4 servings
This blender soup is for those on-the-go meals that are sometimes necessary. You don’t even have to heat this. It is yummy served cold.
- 2 ripe avocados, halved
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 5-7 basil leaves
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp ume plum vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
Scoop avocados into a high-speed blender or a food processor and add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth, adding more water or broth as desired. Serve cold.